Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Windows to my soul

So far, my planning for BlogHer has mostly centred around what colour my toenails are going to be.

This is a vital consideration. One's toenails, in sandal weather, are an extension of one's very being, a porthole into one's personality, and an ever-present accessory. I don't want to spread pedicure paranoia or anything, but as far as I'm concerned the shade of my toenails says a lot.

I also have a problem with purple at the moment. My problem used to be with green, and I sort of declared an embargo on green things to deal with that. But apparently I moved to purple and now I'm in great danger of matchy-matchyness, which just won't do at all.

Let me run through the shades of nail polish I have at my disposal, and the messages they convey, at least in my head, and probably not in anyone else's.
  • None: A classic option for the natural beauty. Groomed nails with no polish say that I'm above all that. Or that I didn't get a chance to paint them. Or that it's winter and I'm wearing socks and what, you brought your x-ray specs, Superman?
  • Clear: Not much point, really. If you're painting your toenails, paint your toenails.
  • Darkish tomato red: Fun, but not really me. A little too bright and clashes with most of my clothes.
  • Dark sparkly red: Classic with a twist. Goes with almost everything, but doesn't say a lot about the purple/green-loving person I am deep down inside.
  • Dark bronze: Very me (I'm an autumn, you know), goes with everything. But a little too much like the colour of my sandals themselves. Too safe, maybe; doesn't say "I take risks in blogging!"
  • Palest lilac: Lovely, very summery; has the unfortunate side-effect of making my pale feet look as if they belong to a corpse. Pity about that. If I have to spend several conference sessions with my toenails in my line of sight, I don't want to be wondering whether or not I'm still alive.
  • Brighter lilac/orchid: Also very summery, not quite so corpse-like. The problem is that I have too many t-shirts the exact same colour, not to mention my two orchid dresses and my purple/berry bag.
  • Dark sparkly purple(not pictured): I just got a pedicure in this shade, and will probably never be able to find it again. It's very nice, though. On the other hand, it's exactly the same as my glasses frames. (See what I mean about the embargo?)
  • Metallic teal: Last year's purchase - gorgeous colour but doesn't suit my skintone at all, and clashes with almost all my greens, which are more on the yellow side of green than the blue. Great with the bronze sandals, mind you.
Nail polish colors
Some might say I should choose my clothes for the conference first and take my cue from there. But then I'd be denied all this very engrossing and important contemplation. I probably need to invest in a few more options. Now taking suggestions.

I'll let you know what I finally decide.


Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At June 12, 2013 at 11:46 PM , Blogger Justine L said...

I hate to admit this, but my nails will not be painted, my clothes will likely be whatever is clean and presentable in my closet, and my business cards are left over from last year. Maybe my winning personality will allow people to overlook all of this?

 
At June 13, 2013 at 1:01 AM , Blogger viviane said...

Of course, I am not going to BlogHer, not in a million years, probably, but I'm totally with you on the subject. I currently hesitate between dark purple and fuschia pink.

 
At June 13, 2013 at 7:45 AM , Blogger Maud said...

But as someone with an actual outside-the-house job, your basic wardrobe is probably a lot more presentable than mine.

Also, I tend to enjoy overthinking these things.

 
At June 13, 2013 at 8:29 AM , Anonymous KTA said...

What you need is a nice summery coral. It goes with everything and looks good on many skin tones, including those of us with that ruddy-yet-cool Hibernian thing going on. Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Coral Reef is a great option that's also cheap and easy to find. I also like Essie Cute as a Button, which you should be able to get at a drugstore or Ulta as well.

 
At June 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM , Blogger Maud said...

I have not ventured down the coral path yet, but I know it's the colour of the season. Maybe you're right...

 
At June 14, 2013 at 2:46 AM , Anonymous agirlandaboy said...

I'm wearing Turquoise and Caicos (har), which looks hideous in the Amazon photo on my monitor but is actually a lovely, trendy but not too loudly trendy shade of, uh, turquoise. It sounds like it would go with your purples and greens without matching them? Yes? Maybe? Take me with you?

 
At June 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM , Anonymous KTA said...

Do it! I think summer pedicures are best with bright, punchy colors. Some of the shades you have, while wonderful, aren't up to the task. Bright pinks, corals, and blues really get the job done!

 
At June 14, 2013 at 8:52 AM , Blogger Maud said...

But those are the ones I always tend to think look best with a tan. I really need to reset my preconceptions.

 

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home