From. As in "from."
Went to lunch with a couple of co-workers. They’re not the most talkative and when faced with quiet people I just get quieter, so it was all a bit awkward. Anyway, one of the short bursts of conversation went like this:
Him: So, are you from Ireland?
Me: Yup.
Him: Ahh. So what’s it like there; hilly, flat?
Me: Hilly round the edges, flat in the middle.
Him: Riiight. And, have you ever actually gone there?
Me: Where? [Thinking, he probably means to the mountains, but I’m horribly afraid he doesn’t]
Him: [Confirming my worst suspicions] To Ireland.
Gahh. I’ve learnt my lesson with “Irish”, and now accept that to many Americans it means “of Irish decent”. But what part of “from Ireland” doesn’t mean “from Ireland”?
I clarified that I was not merely born there but also lived there until two years ago. Then we all went back to contemplating our tamales and the medieval recorder consort the university had laid on for our holiday pleasure.
Labels: conversations, Ireland, Texas
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Say something!
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home