Actually, a twofer
It is perhaps the case that I need to write for a while just to get into it. Then I should scrap the first two paragraphs (at least) and go with the rest, by which time I’ve actually arrived at a decent theme for myself. It is also perhaps the case that I should excise the word “actually” from my vocabulary. At least for the time being.
This is pretty much the opposite of my tactic when I need to write a specific piece – a memo or a document or something concrete and work-related. Then, my introduction is always crappy. So I forget the polite introductory stuff for the moment and start straight in at the second paragraph, getting down to exactly what it is I wanted to say (or ask, or describe or whatever). Then, when I can see what I’m saying, it’s much easier to craft the right introduction as a final step.
I’m quite proud of my work memos – I like to think they’re models of diplomacy, cunningly crafted to attain the result I want while making the recipient feel like I’m going out of my way to help them. (My ex-boss once said as much. In that department I think we all enjoyed a little well-written subtle emotional blackmail. For the good of the group, you understand.)
In that vein, I wrote a masterpiece of subtlety today, trying to get my clutches into some work I have an eye on. It did at least get a response, which was the most basic aim since the recipient had been ignoring previous more workmanlike missives, but I didn’t win the war. I hate getting brusque e-mails. I hate people who don’t address me but just start straight into it (unless they’re good friends or it’s part of an ongoing exchange). I really hate people who don’t sign off at all, and just let their signature line (or the From field, for goodness sake) do the talking. Bah. These people, they have no finesse, no ettiquette. She didn’t even bother to Reply All, so I had to forward her reply to my boss, who I’d copied on the original so he could admire my skill and dexterity in handling these delicate matters. (I fear it’ll be lost on him. Not so much with the finesse himself, electronically.)

1 Comments:
oh yes indeed, every day I write cunningly crafted e-mails that look like models of diplomacy, this is a secret weapon that so many people overlook!
Post a Comment
Say something!
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home