Welcome
Mild is not a word that's ever applied to the weather in America. In Ireland, it implies an element of grateful surprise that it's not any colder. The weather is mild right now, which is lovely. It's not warm, but it's warmer than we have any right to expect at this point in October. It can be mild and raining at the same time, of course, but if it's mild and breezy and the clouds are scudding past, it's really very pleasant.
The plane came in at 4.30 am and Ireland came up with its fairy lights, as Louis Macniece said, even though it's not Christmas. They were little orange dots, like Lucozade. Exactly like Lucozade.
-----
That was Monday, and now it's Friday. We've been pretty useful, but I still wonder how we got to the end of the weekdays without feeling like we've done more than dip our toe into being here at all. We've established that Mabel will happily exist on unlimited potato waffles while Dash would like to eat nothing but fresh-baked baguettes from the local shops. Along with milk and chocolate biscuits, these will form the basis of their diets for two weeks, and I'm sure they won't die or develop rickets in that time. Probably.
I've also been reminded that while Dash in personality is very attached to schedule and routine and predictability, in physiology he adapts much more quickly to the five-hour time difference than his sister does. However, since Mabel has slept through, or almost through, every night - in contrast to past years when she's been wide awake and wanting to play at 3am for nights on end - I suppose I'll forgive her the screaming and kicking and hysterical "I'm not tired"-ing at 11.30 for the past two nights.
---------
Never mind all this talking. How about a picture or two...
Labels: Dublin tourists, ex-pat, Ireland, travel, weather

6 Comments:
Have a wonderful time! And is that a Five Guys with the red and white tile? My mother would flip to have one in Ireland.
There you are now just down the road! Glad to hear it's going well, and remember, what you're referring to as "mild", we are calling "bizarre heatwave"
It is a Five Guys, but it's the one in Dulles airport, I'm afraid. :)
Ha! I was just about to exclaim about how surprised I was to see a Five Guys in Ireland.
Glad you are enjoying yourself & have had good weather too! My kids were quite thrilled with potato waffles when we moved here too - they'd only ever seen the kind you put maple syrup on before :) They also have a possibly unhealthy obsession with tea brack.
Enjoy!
The weather has been beautiful - except for yesterday afternoon, maybe, and we were all well entertained then and various get-togethers. I don't understand why potato waffles don't exist in America - except that people are so attached to the other sort of waffle that maybe they'd be confused. Tea brack is not a favourite of mine, I have to admit, but I'm sure it's very healthy.
Post a Comment
Say something!
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home