Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Some days are better than others

Some days I am on top of the laundry, and some days the laundry is on top of me.

Some days a blog post comes to me fully formed in the shower. Some days I have to hiccup it out like a cat barfing.

Some days I go for a run or do a whole exercise video and then saute kale for lunch. Some days I stop after five minutes and have a muffin instead.

Some days my children climb trees and run outside and I show them how to make leaf rubbings, and feed them meals that have components from each of the food groups. Some days they sit in front of the TV for too long and get a waffle and five frozen peas for dinner.*

Some days I am fired up with efficiency, and the kitchen is clean and the dentist appointments are scheduled and the new season's clothes are sorted and I am superwoman.

Some days I'm not.


I think the key is not to give up after one - or many in a row - of the off days. Just keep swimming.

Autumn leaves on a page


*Obviously, I'm talking about Mabel here. For Dash, eating from all the food groups means a peanut-butter sandwich and a juice box.

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At October 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM , Blogger Lollipop Goldstein said...

Love love love this. And me too.

I think it's hard not to get down on yourself when you get to the end of the day and think, "and how did I get nothing accomplished again?" But you're right: tomorrow is always another day.

 
At October 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM , Blogger Maud said...

Thank you!

 
At October 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM , Anonymous Meeshie said...

Your kids are alive, you didn't burn down your house, you have at least enough clean clothes that you didn't have to go out naked, you remembered to PUT ON those clothes. It's a win. Everything else is bonus points and you don't always need the bonus ;)

 
At October 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM , Anonymous Emily said...

My days where things are better are definitely in the minority... But I have a benchmark whereby my kids are happy and content and calm and I'm not stressed to be my goal!! Laundry, healthy days, cleaning etc, take a definite back seat most days :)

 
At October 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love this x

 
At October 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great post. I find it hard sometimes not to let it get on top of you when it all starts to unravel, but "some days", like today, watching three very happy kids play endlessly together overrides the mess they leave in their wake!

 
At October 9, 2013 at 7:41 AM , Anonymous MLP said...

"I think the key is not to give up after one - or many in a row - of the off days. Just keep swimming".

I really, really, really, needed to read this today. And I'll need it again tomorrow I expect. Thank you!

 
At October 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM , Blogger Maud said...

Calm children and unstressed parents sounds like an excellent benchmark. I should strive for that.

 
At October 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Joanna O'Sullivan said...

Some days I say, out loud, "trust yourself, you can do this" and my youngest recently said that to me on one of 'those' days. Wonderful as it was to hear her say that what made me really happy was that she didn't say "fu*k sake" because she learned that from me a while back and I have been working hard at ridding it from our vocabulary.

 
At October 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM , Blogger Maud said...

What a great mantra for your girls to internalise! I hope they use it - and believe it - forever.

 
At October 12, 2013 at 2:00 PM , Anonymous Daisy said...

I love this post. Some days I am perfect but most days I am not!

 

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home