Family car
As the only child of tidy-minded parents, I always found that other people's cars had an air of messy family-ness that ours lacked. I loved it. I loved the casualness and the randomness and the disorganization. It seemed to be the hallmark of a real family to me, and I loved being subsumed into the families of my more-siblinged friends, whether for a whole week in the summer or just an after-school playdate.
At my house, when we got home, whatever had come with us came out of the car and back into the house, to be thrown away or put away as appropriate. The glove compartment contained one pair of gloves, one pair of sunglasses (in their case), an orange chamois to de-mist the windows with, and the car's owner's manual. (Of course, this was before you needed twelve different adaptors for all the things you might conceivably charge in your car, and also before cars were littered with broken CD cases, defunct cassette tapes, and album inserts that didn't match the contents. We didn't even have a car with a radio until I was 14.)
Other families' cars, though, had cyclinders of wet wipes on the back window and crumbs between the cushions, lost hair bobbins on the floor and abandoned liquorish allsorts under the seats. There was a fine line, of course, between the endearing and the disgusting - used tissues proliferating on the passenger seat, mysterious stickiness on the door handle, half-eaten packets of Tayto scattering as we rounded every corner were definitely out of the grey zone and into the gross.
More often than I could understand, there was a hairbrush in someone's car. My hairbrush never travelled more than a foot from my dressing table, where I picked it up, brushed, and set it down again. My mother's was the same. I always puzzled over the migratory hairbrushes.
------------
Well, I'm happy to report that I've achieved nirvana, where nirvana is the perfectly messy family car. Art projects on the passenger seat? Check. Discarded toy parts and litter and tissues liberally spread around the floor? Check. Crumbs in every crevice? Check. Hairbrush on the back seat? More often than my former self would believe.

7 Comments:
This post really struck a chord with me! I'm an only child too and used to be so envious of my friends' messy family cars and fridges covered in artwork. My daughter is just about to turn 6 months and has started taking baths in the big tub. It's sad, but having a bathroom full of rubber ducks makes me so happy now!
It's so nice to hear that it wasn't just me! I know what you mean about the bathtub too - part of me is delighted with all the many many toys that migrate upstairs to the bathroom and drip all over everything there.
I was collecting my friends kids from school and one of her girls refused to get into my car. She said it was too messy and she would rather walk. I knew then it was time for a tidy out.
You would feckin LOVE our car... Enough spare clothes to clothe a small army in every eventuality; enough food that, should there be an Armageddon, bunking in our car will ensure you won't starve for, ohhh, about six months. AND enough toys, books and art equipment to suit every creative whim!!!
I have a hairbrush in the car that's never used for anything at all but it feels quite organised to have it there :)
My family was one of those 'nothing shall ever be left in the car!' kind of families. Me? Eh.. it varies. With just one tiny human my clutter is mostly limited to a huge diaper bag that is packed for the end-of-days and a messenger bag that holds my entire universe in its deep deep confines. As he grows and gets hobbies I have a feeling my car will lose it's shiny pretty cleanness.
Money! You forgot money! I used to CRAWL around the car as a youngster looking for loose change. Now I've swopped the car seats for the couch when Mister Husband gets up off it. He's always spilling his pockets on it.
Post a Comment
Say something!
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home