Thursday, March 27, 2008

Plans

Today I am six weeks pregnant and we're going for a tour of the birthing center I hope to use. It's been recommended strongly by at least three friends, and having done the hospital thing and had a straightforward vaginal delivery, I think I'm in a good place to know what I want and choose a birthing center. Anyway, they're right around the corner from a perfectly good hospital, should the need arise.

I'd love the opportunity to have a water birth, or at least try labouring in water, and to be not hooked up to an IV and monitors (no matter how much I tried to avoid it, once you're in hospital it's par for the course, especially if your waters have broken, as mine had) would be so nice. And they do have pain relief available, so I wouldn't be committing to totally natural birth - though I'd like to give it a shot because I'm still unclear about how much of Monkey's sleepiness (and therefore not eating and possibly being dehydrated, though I think the doctor was just being a drama queen) in the early days could have been due to the narcotic I was given. I could probably ask them about that too. And they have a good lactation consultant so I might just run things by her in terms of how much we're still nursing and my plans (hah) for weaning.

Labels: ,