Broccoli. Or is it brocolli?
On Monday night, still in the pre-queasy stage of this pregnancy, I made a huge pasta salad that would last me for lunches for the rest of the week. I'd made it once before for a pot-luck, and it had been a huge hit, so I was delighted with my yummy lunch. I had to leave out the feta, though, so I cunningly added some edamame to make up for the missing protein.
Sadly, by the next day my yummy lunch didn't look so pleasing to the innards at all. I wanted something salty and crunchy, not this slithery vegetably white stuff. Bah. I've been dutifully eating it all week anyway, but there's still a pile left in the fridge because I'm just not shovelling it in the way I expected to.
Instead, yesterday I went to the supermarket and stocked up on healthy snacks so that I can nibble at my desk in between meals, thus perhaps staving off the icky feeling. And some ginger ale. Now I'm grazing on roasted salted almonds and craisins, which are really good and packed with protein and vitamin C and good oils, and I feel like an exemplary expectant. I also have a small serving of pasta salad and a yogurt in the fridge, as well as a tub of cottage cheese (more protein) with an added spoonful of my very delicious rhubarb and ginger preserve. Because ginger is good for nausea, see? I just hope I feel like eating it sometime, because at the moment it's falling into the "sounds slimy, not crunchy" category. Maybe I should hide my almonds in my cottage cheese.
And for tonight, we have salmon steaks with new potatoes and broccoli. This week's vegetablicious menus are brought to you by the necessity to make up for last weekend's Mexican food extravaganza - and I mean food in Mexico for two days straight, so it was mostly wheat and cheese in one form or another. (And no beer for me. Sadness.) I think it's telling that I don't know the Spanish for broccoli - apart from salsa verde, I don't think they do green veg there.
Labels: food, pregnancy 1

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Say something!
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home