Friday, August 5, 2005

Trivial Pursuit. Ha.

Emotional rollercoaster, yo. Really, I don’t know whether I’m a lot broodier than I thought I was or I’m just much more used to getting my own way than I’d like to believe, but the difference between yesterday, when I was totally miserable because I thought I’d already ovulated and we’d mis-timed everything and missed the boat again, and today, when my temperature is miraculously low again so in fact I haven’t yet ovulated and we can get back on the procreation bus, is undeniable. And I think I purposely made that sentence as convoluted as possible because I’m a bit embarrassed by the whole thing.

See, I had it all planned. (This is going to get technical and fertility related. Sorry about that.) I have pretty long cycles – last month I ovulated on day 21, which is a whole week later than the traditional day it should be expected. So I decided that, just to be on the safe side, we’d start the campaign for better reasons to buy ourselves children's books on day 14 of this cycle and continue until it was clear I’d ovulated, even if that meant a whole week of regimented daily canoodling (oh, the humanity).
Day 14 was yesterday, Thursday. On Wednesday, we had ample opportunity to go for it, but didn’t, because it really wasn’t necessary and we had other things to do, like sitting on the sofa. On Thursday morning I woke up to find my temperature appeared to have shifted, meaning I’d just ovulated. With no advance warning from the rest of me. Cue wailing and gnashing of teeth and imperious demands for a time machine. Well, not so much with the wailing but much pouting and feeling thwarted and telling myself that I should have known better than to try to predict this month on the basis of what happened last month (and every other month since February when I came off the pill and started this charting nonsense). Even though it’s not like I was given anything else to predict with, since all the other signs (which I will not go into in this public forum, but the technical term is “ickiness”) were almost totally absent. “For fuck’s sake,” quoth I, “how the hell am I meant to get pregnant if my Window of Fertility is about twenty minutes long?”

So last night we went ahead with the plan and Got it On Anyway, just in case by some bizarre accident my high temperature that morning had been caused by the two sips of a weak gin and tonic I’d stolen the night before, or the concomitant stress of having to leave a game of Trivial Pursuit half finished.

This morning, my temperature was back down. I have not yet ovulated. The Plan can go ahead. Apparently I have a very emotional involvement with Triv, and the suspense of not winning when I was clearly in the lead caused me to have a sleepless night without even noticing it, which must be what caused the rogue temperature spike. I am all cheerful and a Lovely Person today. Tra la laaa…

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home