Ham 'n' feta sandwich, anyone?
I keep catching myself thinking "I'll do that when I'm pregnant." Then I have to remind myself that I really am pregnant now and so I probably should be doing whatever that was - eating cottage cheese for extra protein or taking walks at lunchtime or playing Mozart while making dinner. (Okay, so that last one can wait a few months. Though it wouldn't hurt me to be more cultured either. But if the baby hears a lot of West Wing dialogue instead, it'll grow up to be a hotshot lawyer. Or a quality-viewing couch potato.)
I suppose it's starting to sink in a little more. I just ordered the Mayo Clinic pregnancy book from Amazon, because I should probably stop winging it and directing my pregnancy with no more information than what I've already read and what I glean from the Internet. I really don't want to read every book out there, either for pregnancy or child-raising, because that way madness lies. And I do basically believe that pregnancy's the easy part - all I have to do is sit here and the baby will do all the hard work. But I do need a basic reference source, and we don't have web access at home. Which is probably just as well.
I'm confused about whether it's okay to eat feta cheese (basically, the UK says it is, and the US says it's not), and then there's this new thing about deli meats being a source of food poisoning. What? No ham sandwiches for the entire pregnancy? You've got to be joking. That's going on the list of questions to ask the midwife.
Reading back, I see a few loose ends I should tie up. The queasiness came back yesterday for the first time - since I'm now at 6 weeks, counting doctor-style, I think I've had a pretty good run of it so far. Triscuits didn't really help and I felt icky on and off all day till dinnertime. Today it's much the same, but a bit milder. Maybe this is how it'll be from now on.
I did make an appointment with the midwife that was recommended to me by the lovely birth center, and cancelled the one my dodgy doctor had made for me. I'll know more after next Monday, when I meet her, but I'm hoping she'll be exactly what I'm looking for.
The doula never got back to me - maybe she doesn't check her e-mail, but it doesn't bode well. I never phoned her because I went the other route for advice instead. (Another dead end was when I called the number for the local La Leche League contact, since breastfeeding and natural birth seem to go hand in hand - why I don't really know, and I think it just adds to the negatively hippy image that breastfeeding seems to have acquired - so they might be able to point me in the right direction. A man answered and I hesitantly asked was that La Leche League. He said "Oh. My wife. She's in San Diego for a while," and put the phone down before I could ask anything about when she might be back. So much for that.)
Labels: childbirth, pregnancy 1

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Say something!
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home