Friday, August 16, 2013

Love of Blog

I heard someone say today that she doesn't read mom blogs. "Because they're all do this and do that, and I think when you're a new parent the last thing you need is more people telling you what you should do."

Valid point. But I think maybe she's seen the wrong blogs.

I would hate anyone to think my blog is telling people what they should do. I really hate to think that I might ever come across as sanctimonious or superior or smug.

Blogs, if you find the right ones, bring your village to your living room. They validate your parenting decisions, they back you up, they open up the world. They give you a sense of perspective, they give you feedback; they are a pillow to scream into and a friend to vent to and someone else who's been there before. Or someone to assure you that nobody has ever been there before because nobody else has your child. Blogs are your teabreak and your water cooler; your snarky friend, your hilariously foulmouthed friend, your beautiful friend, your brave friend, the friend who makes you snort coffee out of your nose.

I could not have made it through the first seven years of parenting without blogs. And I wouldn't try to make it through the rest without them either.



Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At August 17, 2013 at 5:23 AM , Blogger Joanna O'Sullivan said...

Well said. One of the many reasons I like your blog is that you don't tell people what they should do. I also love your humour.

 
At August 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM , Blogger Alyssa said...

I think sometimes people get confused with "I'm writing about the way I do things" with "if you don't do things my way, you're wrong". Of course there are probably blogs out there that do the latter, but they are easy to stay away from :) It's great to have blog (and other online) support, especially when we can feel so isolated sometimes in "real" life.

 
At August 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM , Blogger Cheryl Pollock Stober said...

Amen. Happy to have found yours. :)

 
At August 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM , Blogger Jools said...

Mama blogs are the beautiful belief that somewhere out there someone is living the same crazy chaotic life that you are, and surviving it!

 
At August 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM , Blogger Maud said...

You're right, that's exactly what it is. And of course a blog can be a soap box when you find something you feel strongly about. But finding "your" blogs to read is about community, not unwelcome advice.

 
At August 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM , Blogger Maud said...

Thank you, Cheryl.

 
At August 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM , Blogger Justine L said...

I think that the other thing that annoys me about parenting blogs, though, is that some of them don't bother to generalize. They are completely self-focused. It's like looking at your neighbor's slide show of their vacation. Why do you care? If you can't take a step back and widen the circle, to me, it's not worth reading.

Yours isn't like that. ;)

 
At August 18, 2013 at 9:58 PM , Blogger Maud said...

Oh, yes, there are the blogs that are really only for family members, that act as an online photo album or scrapbook. There should be a separate name for those ones.

 
At August 19, 2013 at 2:59 AM , Anonymous Caitriona said...

I love it. Well said. xxx

 
At August 26, 2013 at 6:35 AM , Blogger Kimberly @ Red Shutters said...

Terrific post - and right on point.

Great to have met you at BlogHer! I am enjoying your blog--and your witticisms on Twitter!

 
At August 26, 2013 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Maud said...

Hi Kimberly, and thank you!

 
At September 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM , Anonymous lisa thomson said...

Excellent points! I love reading my favorite blogs and getting to know other writers! Some are just pure pleasure and some are full of excellent advice. I am a blogger who hopes to make women feel less 'alone' during the divorce process. I hope I am accomplishing that. When I went through my divorce there were no blogs to speak of nor during my early parenting years. It would have been really helpful during each of these phases of my life.

 
At September 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM , Blogger Maud said...

Thank you, Lisa. I think when people can combine writing as a cathartic process for ourselves with putting our stories out there to help others in situations that people don't always want to talk about IRL, the result is some really great blogs.

 

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home