Monday, August 5, 2013

A singular sensation

A strange thing happened when I came back from BlogHer. I felt very small.

Not that I go around feeling like a great lumbering giant every day, but I usually feel comfortably right-sized in my space. But at the start of last week I found myself looking in the mirror and thinking I was a mere wisp of a thing; that a breath of air would knock me over; that I was lacking weight, significance, heft.

Small in a not-good way, then. Maybe it was the exhaustion that hit me when I got home, a combination of post-excitement, post-travel tiredness and a bit of an extended hangover. Maybe it was because I'd hung out with some women who were taller and bigger than me - but that was by no means the majority. At 5'4 and a US size 8, I'm pretty much average, and certainly not tiny. I am not a wisp.

I think perhaps it was a physical manifestation of the fact that I'd been such a small fish in such a huge pond at the blogging conference. I don't mind not being in the limelight; I don't want to be top of the heap. I have very little ambition, and I'm fine with that. I have no illusions that my blog is secretly a Big Deal. I don't think anyone's going to jump out of the alcove and present me with a trophy for being the biggest little blogger that could, I really don't.

So I don't know why, honestly. It was an odd and unsettling sensation. But I'm happy to say it's wearing off, and I'm feeling pretty much normal again.

Which probably means I should get back to that 30-day shred thing if I want to keep fitting into my size 6 Gap jeans. (Which we all know are just like size 8s anywhere else.)



Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At August 5, 2013 at 7:22 PM , Blogger Emily said...

No, no, size 6 is size 6!!! I would say the sensation was exhaustion- and also coming back to earth, so to speak. Hope you are feeling more grounded now. Something extraordinary can knock us out of whack... Xxx

 
At August 6, 2013 at 6:21 AM , Anonymous Caitriona said...

We have a saying around here that is used often - "you're a legend in your own bathtub". Irish humour but you get what I mean. I think you're mega brilliant. xxx

 
At August 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM , Blogger Maud said...

Ah, thanks. A legend in my own bathtub is about the size of it. I think my sense of perspective was just momentarily out of whack.

 

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home