Tuesday, July 30, 2013

BlogHer '13: The one with all the links

I don't want to just name-check a bunch of people I met at BlogHer. I'd prefer to list them logically, both as a reminder for myself and also to help you find new blogs that interest you. So here we go: hold onto your hats for a whistle-stop tour.

**********

My BlogHer family came ready-made for me by my wonderful and open-hearted roommates, who - like the best of parents - gave me both a safe space to come back to and the freedom to roam and have my own crazy BlogHer experience. I am more grateful to them than I can say. They just happen to be a thematic group as well, as they came together a long time ago and bonded over infertility, pregnancy loss, and adoption. They blog the hard topics with more courage, grace, and good humor than I could ever hope to have.

ALI bloggers
Justine of A Half-Baked Life
Kathy of Bereaved and Blessed
Erin of Will Carry On
Mel of Stirrup Queens
Amy of Life According to Johnny
Jamie of Sticky Feet

My crazy-night-out accomplices, who let me crash their gang at the Voices of the Year reception and sit on the floor with them; and if nobody sang karaoke, never let it be said that it was for want of my encouragement or enabling. They just happen to all be autism parenting bloggers.

Autism bloggers
Jean at Stimeyland
JennyAlice at Into the Woods, Living Deliberately
Kim at Autism Twins
Mir at Woulda Shoulda

(That night I also met a barman from Galway who's been in Chicago twenty years. But I don't think he blogs.) 

People I sat beside at lunch, or on the bus, or even on my flight home. They don't really fall into a single handy category.

Parenting
Cheryl of Busy Since Birth
Kimberly from Red Shutters
Jolawn from Spelhouse Love 
Gina from Mom Psych
Ruby of Growing Up Blaxican
Louise of Single With
Allison of SilverSpiral
Melissa Langsam Braunstein, who I was standing right beside on the first morning, but didn't end up introducing myself to until we turned out to be sitting beside each other on the flight home to DC.

Personal
Emily at Zweber Farms, who has the moo-est Moo cards ever.
Kailynn of Ginger Sass
Sarah of Bluegrass Redhead

Food
Stephie of Eat Your Heart Out
Stephanie of Sarcastic Cooking
Mary Fran of Franny Cakes, who filled me in on the vital difference between a macaron and a macaroon.

Style/fashion
Alice of Practically Stylish

Useful stuff
Sarah from USA Love List
Stephanie of SuperMom Tested
Kim and Lisa of Bliss-Chicks
Shannon of Social Moms
Kyle of ShopGab (Hey! You're a guy!)

Everyone else
Joyce of The Voice of Joyce
Margaret of Nestache
Jenny of Jenny on the Spot
Jo of Media Mum
Kim of Save My Sunshine
Javacia of See Jane Write
Julie Danis
Blondie of Tales from Clark Street

Very important speaker-type people. I went to some really great conference sessions, but my favourites were the writing round-tables. Inspiration and entertainment in one great package. These gals are the pros, and I look forward to learning from their writing.

Turning a blogpost into an essay
Rita Arens at Surrender, Dorothy

The UnMarketing Manifesto
Veronica Arreola of Viva la Feminista
Jenna Hatfield of Stop Drop and Blog
Dresden of Creating Motherhood
Michelle of Burgh Baby

Humor bloggers
Pat Dunnigan of Suburban Kamikaze
Georgia Getz of Bossy
Krista of Effing Dykes
Elizabeth of Flourish in Progress

Anatomy of a story
Vikki of Up Popped A Fox
Jenny Chiu of Mommy Nani Booboo  
Nicole Blades of Ms. Mary Mack
Tanis Miller

Finally, I did manage to meet up with one blog crush. I was thrilled and delighted to meet Stacey of Is there Any Mommy Out There?, who was gracious and sweet and instead of running away when I twitter-stalked her, arranged to meet me in the lobby and let me yammer on at her for far too long. If you don't already read Stacey's beautiful, hilarious, eviscerating blog, please proceed directly there. She's a writer who inspires me. Thank you, Stacey.

Maud and Stacey
I never know what to do with my hands, and it shows.



Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At July 30, 2013 at 8:30 PM , Blogger Alyssa said...

Sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing all the links!

 
At July 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM , Blogger Justine L said...

Hooray for new awesome beautiful things to read! :)

 
At July 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM , Blogger anymommy said...

Oh my gosh, you are such a sweetheart. It was delightful talking to you. I hope we get to do it again! I completely failed at taking pictures. I have like two, so this one is perfect.

 
At July 31, 2013 at 1:55 AM , Blogger Looking for Blue Sky said...

Fantastic, and why am I not surprised that the party people were autie mums :)

 
At July 31, 2013 at 2:00 AM , Blogger Kathy said...

Awesome! It is/was an honor to be part of your BlogHer'13 family and I love how inclusive this post is! Such a great way to share about your experience and literally everyone you met and/or learned from. Thanks for being a great roomie! My sophomore year at Blog Camp wouldn't have been the same or nearly as wonderful without you! xoxo

 
At July 31, 2013 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Joanna O'Sullivan said...

Wow, you've been to BlogHer!!!! I haven't read the first post yet so will do that before I bombard you with questions...prepare for a ridiculous e-mail!!!! Sounds like it was just fab!

 
At July 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM , Blogger Thrift Store Mama said...

What a GREAT whistle stop tour. Can't wait to visit their blogs when I have some FREE TIME next weekend.

 
At August 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM , Blogger Cheryl Pollock Stober said...

So glad you got to meet Stacey too! I couldn't believe I just sat down next to her like she was just some average girl. ;) Thanks for including me in your links!

 
At August 1, 2013 at 7:22 PM , Blogger Stimey said...

You met a huge number of people. I am impressed. It was so much fun to hang out with you. And next time SOMEBODY is going to karaoke, dammit.

 

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home