Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Butterfly days

Bare shoulders, freckled (mine). Sunkissed legs, growing longer (hers). A constant anthem of "I'm hungry." (Two growth spurts, ongoing.) Huge butterflies on the orange flowers, they flip and flutter past in yellow, blue, and black; no longer a cause for excitement, taken for granted in these late days of summer.

Butterfly on orange flower

We're sick of sunscreen and mosquito bites. We yearn for structure. We need a more pressing reason to get dressed than the fact that we've run out of frozen waffles again. The summer is done for. It's dead and dusted and we're apathetic and dusty and ready to move on.

Butterfly on orange flower

What will I keep in my heart from the summer my children were seven and four? Turning 40, going to BlogHer; baseball games and campsites and cold-pressed coffee. I feel like the summer didn't have a theme, a particular game played or toy loved or achievement unlocked. It was the summer Dash started baseball and vision therapy, the summer Mabel got Rapunzel and learned to swim, the year we all went to Ithaca and that I went to Chicago alone with several thousand other bloggers. The summer I had a purple bag, the year Dash had silver trainers and Mabel wouldn't wear shorts. 

Butterfly on flower, boy with lightsaber

I sometimes feel we're not doing America right, especially in the summer. We don't grill enough, we rarely dine on the deck (because of the mosquitoes and because bug spray worries me as much as the bites do). My children do not gorge themselves on berries and watermelon and corn on the cob and as a result I spend a lot more time denying access to ice-cream than enabling it. We haven't been to the beach once this summer, and the single attempt at seeing a family movie was aborted before the trailers were over. We went camping but never lit a campfire, the kids didn't love summer camp, and once again we did not grow any vegetables of our own.

Maybe next year we'll do it better. In the meantime, the butterflies are beautiful.


Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At August 13, 2013 at 4:26 PM , Blogger Joanna O'Sullivan said...

WHAT are those butterflies called and HOW absolutely beautiful is this post? You mightn't be doing America right but you're writing America in a league of your own. This is one of the posts your children will be struck by in the future (in a good way!!!!!)

 
At August 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM , Blogger Maud said...

I think it's an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, according to this: http://www.virginia.edu/blandy/clarkecountylandusesurvey/butterflyguide.pdf. They love my neighbour's orange flowers.

And thank you. :)

 
At August 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM , Blogger Emily said...

I second Joanna! Beautiful writing, lovely memories xxx

 
At August 13, 2013 at 5:41 PM , Blogger Office Mum said...

Everything Joanna said - what an absolutely beautiful post. I want to go and live in America after reading it so you must be doing something right!

 
At August 14, 2013 at 8:29 AM , Blogger Sunnyscattered said...

I think it's less a case of not doing America right as just doing it your own way. Which makes it right, doesn't it?!
We had a heatwave here this year (3 whole glorious, uninterrupted weeks of sun). We (my family and I) didn't 'do it right'. Dare I say it - it was too hot!! We didn't go to the beach once - we all burn like mad, the kids are small, and I'm really not a fan of sand getting in places it shouldn't, food or otherwise. We mostly admired the sun from the safety of the shade and didn't bbq at all. Some would argue we wasted the weather. Me? I really enjoyed the sight of it. The kids spent hours in the paddling pool and were happy out. There was icecream, lots of. It was right for us.
Keep doing what you're doing!

 
At August 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

Gorgeous post and pictures! I agree that your children will love reading this summer summary someday. I don't think there is a "right way" to do summer. It's sounds like you and your family have had a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing and I am not sure if I told you before, but I have a special place in my heart for butterflies, as they remind me of our daughter Molly (who left this world too soon).

 
At August 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM , Blogger Maud said...

Thank you, everyone. :)

 
At August 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures - you're so right it gets to that dusty part of summer when however much I regret it passing again, autumn calls, Alice @ Mums Make Lists

 
At August 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM , Blogger Justine L said...

This is absolutely lovely! You've turned a writing corner and you're tearing (pronounced TAYring, not TEERing) up my screen.

And: we don't do summer the right way, either. But is there, really, a right way? We grill, but I hate the mosquitoes. We didn't camp. We did have s'mores. I encourage ice cream. We grow berries, haphazardly. We grow veggies, but the groundhog eats them. Most important is that you will remember summer. Not that you stuffed it with arbitrary Americanness, which is as fictitious as apple pie.

 
At August 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM , Blogger Maud said...

Thank you, Justine! (But it's not really a corner turned. I hit a lyrical patch every now and then, but I can't really claim it's the new normal. Just a lucky break.)

 

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home