Thursday, March 28, 2013

Promise

The trees are holding next week's blossoms tightly furled and fuzzy in the palms of their many hands, each one ready to burst forth given just a little more sunshine, a little more warmth, a little more time. They are a beautiful dark red, waiting to explode into pink.


The sky is grey, briefly blue, streaked with white, then grey again. A flurry of snowflakes, a handful of gravelly graupel, some rain that starts and stops and starts again. It's a particularly hard March, and that's just on this side of the Atlantic. At least here I can be pretty sure that eventually spring warmth will come - and after that (with luck, not too soon after) the hot and humid days of summer. In Ireland, though the flowers will bloom and the trees will sway green and lush in the breeze, warmth is what you yearn for and heat will probably only be found somewhere further afield. It will come, the warmth, but not as much or for as long as everyone might like.

 
It's the grey first day of spring break and already the children have dropped their bikes and invaded the neighbour's house, where the toys are better and the snacks more plentiful. I just had a phone call from across the road to ask if they could eat a piece of leftover birthday cake. I was a little surprised that I was being asked such a no-brainer.

Purveyor of Cake: "Dash suggested I call and make sure it was okay to give you some."
Me: "Ah, isn't that sweet of him? What a good child."
P of C: "Mabel suggested she'd have some even if you said no."

That there pretty much sums up the children's personalities at the moment. Up and down; a little give, a lot of take; potential everywhere: just like spring.


Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At March 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM , Blogger Joanna O'Sullivan said...

That's just plain mean, I think....Stop flaunting your location's ability to have an actual summer in front of ours! (sob sob sob)

 
At March 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM , Blogger Justine L said...

This is impossibly lovely. :)

 

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home