Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pope-ular

Yesterday I had to leave the house at 3.00 to get Dash from school, as usual. The new pope was due to be announced and I had the tv on, but even though I waited - "Come on, it's two minutes past, where is he?" - I had to leave without finding out who it was.

Not that I even knew who the contenders were. Dougal wasn't one of them, neither was Grumpy Cat, and they were the only possibilities my Facebook feed had informed me of in the past weeks; but suspense is suspense and the Vatican knows how to play up a theatrical moment. I asked my friend-and-neighbour, as we bumped into her on the way up the road, if she knew, and we reminisced about past popes, as you do.

"When Ratzinger was elected I was teaching middle school..." she started to tell me.

Hang on. What? But she was a teacher a lifetime ago, and Ratzinger is almost new. I know it's a lifetime ago because her kids are the same age as mine, and she taught before they were born. I was ... wait, I was in southmost Texas, so it was my kids' lifetimes ago too, but I feel like the election of the last pope is still a pretty recent event because I blogged about it.

Which just goes to show that I've been blathering on here for a long time. For more than a whole pope, you could say, using the ancient and irregular unit of measurement.

Everyone's saying - where "everyone" is the people I know who might discuss these things - that they hope this pope is more open to change and more forward-looking and more willing to let in tiny things like, say contraception or women priests to the Catholic church. I said it myself yesterday.

But I've changed my mind.

The thing is, if the Catholic church did all those things that I and many other Catholics and ex-Catholics want it to, things like accepting contraception, and considering married clergy or even women priests, and acknowledging that it's okay to be gay (not even touching on the more controversial topics like abortion and euthanasia), it wouldn't be the Catholic church any more. So I think I actually agree with what Benedict said about wanting a "smaller, purer church."

If all the people who genuinely disagree with the church's teachings but still wish to participate in organized religion voted with their feet and left, heading instead for some more inclusive and accepting place (Anglicanism is not a huge stretch), the church would be much smaller - and perhaps have fewer resources and therefore less influence.

So many people stay in the church for the sake of tradition: because they were raised that way and it's what they know, and they like the warm familiarity of the hymns and the responses and doing what they always did at Christmas and Easter. Maybe because your mother would be devastated if you didn't, because you've never heard of anyone moving church - sure one's as good as another, even because your in-laws wanted to know when the party was when you had the first baby, so you had a christening even though you hadn't been to mass in years, and things just snowballed from there.

But unless you're particularly attached to the other things that only come with Catholicism - transubstantiation and venerating Mary and the saints are all I can think of right now - maybe it's time to move on. My mother was never a big fan of "a la carte" Catholics who take what they like and ignore the rest, and I'm starting to come around to her opinion, albeit from the opposite direction.

I know many people talk about working for change from within, which is laudable indeed. But the Church doesn't want to be changed. The Church would rather you left, actually, if you want things like equality and contraception. God is God, and I'm firmly convinced that he/she/it doesn't care what religion you adhere to and whose rules you follow so long as they're not hurting anyone else.

Then again, I'm an atheist 85% of the time, so you can feel free to disregard my opinions on God altogether.



Disclaimer: As always when I talk about religion, I don't wish to offend anyone and absolutely acknowledge your right to believe whatever you want so long as you respect everyone else's point of view too. The flying spaghetti monster endorses this post.


Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At March 15, 2013 at 4:49 AM , Blogger Joanna O'Sullivan said...

No matter what anyone thinks about the new pope, the old pope, any pope, this was a great read. I think that people vote with their feet and if they are a part of the church, no matter how small a part, then they are telling it that it's doing OK. And the church depends on that attachment to tradition that people have for its numbers but I'd rather tell my children that I started my own tradition and it was one that I believed in 100%. I know you discussed a serious subject here but a few of your phrases gave me a laugh too. *Disclaimer: All views are my own.*

 
At March 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM , Blogger Thrift Store Mama said...

No offense taken, because you didn't say anything offensive ! For me, it was saddening to hear people say that the Church wouldn't change since this new pope had already admitted that he was pro-life, pro-celibacy, anti-same sex marriage, etc. He's a Catholic priest, for heaven's sake and if he wasn't for the Church's stance on things, then he wouldn't have been elected Pope ! I have some hopes for change in the Church that I believe are possible in my lifetime. But they won't be the radical ones that people want to see - those are based on 2,000 years of theological research and church teachings and can't be changed simply because society has generally changed it's views in the past 10-20 years on a social issue.

For what it's worth, I really like thinking about religion and religious practices, but it's sort of boring to discuss it with people who believe exactly the same as I do. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home