Thursday, March 21, 2013

Motivation

Mabel has had two good nights in a row* and I have done at least half the things on that to-do list, which is pretty good going for me. Okay, so the pile of papers has been sorted through and moved to a new location but not actually put away yet, but things are in train. Shopping has been done for the party on Sunday, and I'm starting to feel as if it might actually all come to fruition in a timely manner.

The trouble with getting things done is that it's all about priorities. And I can't prioritise everything. So either I'm trying to exercise a few days a week, or I'm sorting out piles of paper. I'm writing a blog entry (or even something else) or cleaning the bathrooms. I'm planning a party or trying to figure out how to store our piles upon piles of soft toys or applying for a passport. But I can't do all those things, or even remember that I wanted to do them all, at the same time. No matter how much of a multitasking fool I am - and yesterday I was baking two types of bread, registering to vote, buying Dash a new coat**, filing, drinking a cup of tea, AND bragging about it all on Facebook - I can't hold in my mind the intention and urgency of getting everything done that has to be done.

So this week any notion of exercising went out the window and I skipped blogging a few days and as a result I have accomplished other things. I need a rotating cycle of prioritizing. Maybe I can make myself a star chart for that.

(We are knee-deep in star charts here. Mabel completed one, for good behaviour at school, got her new baby, and immediately demanded a new chart so she can buy all the baby's other sisters. So I concocted a huge new one that covers many aspects of her life, and then Dash wanted one too because if she gets something from Target when there he is in great need of a new light saber and with more than a month to go before his birthday, he should have one too. His is for getting ready in the morning and stopping playing computer games when his time is up. We'll see who gets their next trip to Target first.)

Little girl and two dolls
Watching TV with new Baby Belle. Baby Aurora is a little jealous.
So I could have a week for organizing, a week for cleaning, a week for writing, a week for exercising, a week for shopping, a week for baking, and then back to organizing. And if I get all my stars I can buy myself a babysitter, maybe.



*I am not blogging about this for fear of jinxing it. This does not count as blogging about it, okay?

**Long story, but I accidentally broke the zip on Dash's winter coat by closing the car door on it. That makes two coats two years in a row that I've buggered on him. At this rate he'll never wear a coat that fits him, because I keep ruining them before he's even grown into them. The new one is an age 8, and even though he's about to turn 7 he's only just growing out of his 5s. The sleeves will be down to his knees. Ah well. There's not much winter left*** and it'll fit better by next year.

***There'd better not be.


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At March 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM , Blogger Joanna O'Sullivan said...

You sound like me except way more organised. I have so many things to do but there are a couple that I've given myself a year to do so I'm off the immediate hook for those! I think I'll take your words there and repeat as a mantra in my head: 'I can't prioritise everything, I can't prioritise everything'. Hope you have a great party on Sunday!

 
At March 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM , Blogger Maud said...

I am so not organized. Yesterday was a standout day - which is why I'm still bragging about it. I won't be that organized again for weeks, if not months.

 

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home