Sunday, December 8, 2013

Big enough

One thing I've noticed about parenting - and hang onto your hats here, because as epiphanies go, this one's a doozy - is that it takes a long time.

I know; rocket science is a breeze for me, right?

It's just, you start a family and you dream about all the things you'll do with your kids: take them to the movies, play board games together, go out to eat and have a happy family occasion... and you know it'll be a while, because a little baby can't do those things, but you think soon... some day soon, surely... maybe now they're old enough...

And you try far too soon and find that your two-year-old is terrified by the noise of the big screen, or is ready to jump up and run around just when the ads are done and the feature is starting because that's enough sitting still for one afternoon; or that your four-year-old really doesn't want to eat anything on the kids menu and once his chocolate milk is all gone, that's it for the restaurant outing; or that the only board games they want to play are the ones that you have to be able to read for, which they can't do yet, and then they eat the pieces and you fish them out of their hamster cheeks and put the whole thing back on the high shelf for another year or three...

So here we are with a five and a seven and we went to the movies last week (to see Frozen) and everyone liked it and nobody wet themselves (except me, because someone had apparently just dumped a giant coke all over the seat I chose) and we stayed for the whole thing, even though it was very loud and Dash was grumpy about watching princesses. And we loved it, dammit.

And today we took out the Risk and played a short game with three players (and one play-with-the-spare-soldiers-off-the-board-er) and it was almost, dare I say it, fun for all of us, and nobody threw a fit when I won, fair and square, because I'm better at rolling dice than anyone else. (That's probably because of the rocket-science, isn't it?)

And the restaurant thing, well, we're still working on that, but at least they can both play tic-tac-toe on the menu while we wait, and they can both eat some damn french fries and we usually don't actually have to evacuate the whole show mid-mouthful any more.

So, while it was only yesterday that I had a baby, and then I had another, and I swear I don't feel as old as I must be by now; on the other hand I feel as if I've been doing this for ever and shouting at these short people for a long time, and it's about time we got to do some of this stuff because we've all been waiting a while now. You know?

Children looking over a low wall at the sea

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At December 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Alyssa said...

We're so excited to play board games, but the only one that works so far is Hungry Hungry Hippos which - as we all know - is possibly the loudest game ever

 
At December 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM , Blogger Maud said...

Risk is not a good game for kids, really, but we have a couple of better ones under the tree (virtually under the tree, since we don't have a tree yet) for soon.

 
At December 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM , Anonymous DreadPirate said...

I wish we had the old-fashioned Risk, where the pieces were sturdy solid shapes, instead of detailed plastic figurines. And where the grey, blue, and green armies weren't so well camouflaged against each other.

 
At December 11, 2013 at 4:01 PM , Blogger Thrift Store Mama said...

I feel like I'm finally getting to do all the things I wanted to do once I had a child. Girl Scouts, children's theater and family concerts, reading Little House on the Prairie, watching Charlie Brown movies and old musicals. I love it when they have a new friend over and I get to talk to him/her and get to know him/her. They don't like the old musicals but most of the rest of it they are interested in. They are getting nerf bows and nerf guns for Christmas and I can't wait to play with them. My mom was often a fun mom willling to go down the big slide, play in the pool, or dance in the grocery store aisles and I always imagined myself as the same. I'm loving these ages!

 

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home