Vision therapy - not done yet
I'm feeling a little disillusioned about vision therapy lately. Since the Great Leap Forward that happened around September, I haven't really seen much more advance with Dash's reading.
We are approaching the end of his originally scheduled sessions, but when he had an assessment last week the doctor said that his eye teaming was still not great, and added a few more to work on that specifically. I told her that his reading still seemed slower than I would have expected, and she admitted that when he did the Readalyzer test, his eyes were still hopping around the line rather than following the letters sequentially as you would expect.
When we started this, early last summer, I felt that the worst outcome would be if they "passed" him at the end of his allotted sessions, said that everything looked fine on paper, and yet we couldn't see any noticeable difference in his reading. I don't think that's going to happen - some of his numbers have definitely improved, and his reading level has definitely gone up a few notches; maybe I'm just asking for too much. Maybe I should be happy with where we are.
But then. A friend of his was in the house last week - a boy who I know is reading way above his grade level, so I shouldn't compare them at all. But he read the warning on the side of Dash's Beyblade arena (if you don't know, don't worry about it) just the way you or I would, fluently and conversationally, while Dash was still trying to get it together to focus on the first couple of words. It hit me, a little bit.
Reading isn't rocket science. Everyone can read. It's not hard. It shouldn't be this hard. For Dash, I can tell that it's a big effort. He's not lacking desire, or curiosity, or interest, or practice, and he's smart to boot. And yet, I heard him struggling over the word "house" last night as if he'd never seen it before. It's as if he has to start over remembering the rules and concentrating hard every time he cracks open a book.
I just want to know if it will always be that way.
| Reading to his sister, which is definitely a first, so I shouldn't complain. |
Labels: angsty, reading, vision, vision therapy

8 Comments:
I'm just getting started on this journey. We are just getting to know our son, he's turning 18 months old in a few day, but I can see myself concerned for every aspect of his development. I don't have much to add as a comment, except that I wish the best outcome for you, and don't worry too much, it will all work out in the end. I know that might not be true, but I think it helps if we say that a lot about a lot of the aspects of our lives.
Thanks, Ian. I think so too, really.
That friend of Dash's who reads so well, he's got stuff his parents fret about, too. You just keep plugging away at things. Dash is a great kid. He'll be fine.
I know, I know. You're right. I just needed a little fret.
Maud, thank you for this blog. I am a developmental optometrist and I often see kids make big improvements, then plateau, before making that final jump to having the visual skills to graduate vision therapy, and more importantly, succeed in school and life.
The plateaus can be tough. Just keep on plugging, your son will develop the skills he needs to put it all together.
Thank you for taking the time to comment. It's good to know that there's often a plateau. We are keeping on keeping on...
I really want to make others aware of vision therapy because I know there must be many children out there who've just been labelled slow readers (or disruptive, ADD, etc.) when in fact they have vision difficulties. I hope I can help spread the word.
Everyone needs a bit of a fret now and then, don't they? Feel free to fret anytime. The plateau theory makes a lot of sense to me since that plateau appears in all other sorts of learning as well.
You're welcome. You're right, many kids who have a label really (or at the same time) have a vision problem. Last year a paper was published showing just that. Children who were treated for convergence insufficiency (a very common binocular vision disorder) showed significant reduction in "bad" behavior.
From the abstract: "CONCLUSIONS:A successful or improved outcome after CI treatment was associated with a reduction in the frequency of adverse academic behaviors and parental concern associated with reading and school work as reported by parents."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22080400
Post a Comment
Say something!
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home