Sunday, September 22, 2013

Love is...

I love that we can ask Dash if he's a little concerned and he knows we're quoting The Princess Bride.

I love that Mabel just spelled the word "sad" all by herself, and said she knew it was an A in the middle because it's the same sound as in "cat", which is the only word she knows how to spell apart from her name.

I love that Dash is reading an honest-to-God chapter book for his nightly reading these days. A simple one, but a chapter book nonetheless. Before vision therapy, the idea of his reading that much text on a page was unthinkable. The words don't go blurry any more.

I love that Mabel keeps announcing things like "Mummy, three and three more is six!" The wonder of math, afresh.

I love that B is reading The Hobbit to Dash at bedtime these days. I thought it might be a bit ambitious, but so far it's going well.

I love that when Dash criticized Mabel's drawing of a dinosaur, she replied, "When you say that, it makes me feel as if I'm not important." He apologized. I high-fived myself in the kitchen.

I love that Dash is finally old enough to make his own damn cardboard swords instead of bugging us to do it.

I love that Mabel can brush her teeth all by herself.

I love that we can take public transport into the city, walk around, do a museum, and get home again WITHOUT A STROLLER. Escalators and steps are so much easier than finding the hidden elevator every time.

Children running

I do love babies, but I love having big kids too.


Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At September 22, 2013 at 9:01 PM , Blogger Jennifer Thorson said...

Bird must have been talking to Dash. He was talking about cardboard swords just this morning.

 
At September 23, 2013 at 5:08 AM , Blogger Sunnyscattered said...

If I had Euro for every time myself and Hubby talked about how much easier it is to go places with the kids now I'd be landed. Example yesterday - me and both kids (no other adult) drove for an hour, then spent a few hours on the beach. Only thing we brought was food. Awesome!!

 
At September 23, 2013 at 7:14 AM , Anonymous Emily said...

Yes, I hear you... I loved what Mabel said about feeling unimportant, what a brilliant concept to master :)

 
At September 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM , Blogger Alison at Wardrobe Oxygen said...

I love all of this post.

 
At September 23, 2013 at 4:18 PM , Blogger Office Mum said...

I love the bit about Mabel's response to the dinosaur comment too - I am going to try and teach my critical oldest child and victimised middle child this one!

 
At September 23, 2013 at 5:19 PM , Blogger Maud said...

I'm pretty sure I didn't teach her; though she may have learned it from TV. Daniel Tiger is all sorts of helpful that way.

When I heard it though, I was so impressed by the "When you ___ it makes me feel ____" format that I know is what we're all SUPPOSED to do in confrontations.

 
At September 24, 2013 at 7:46 AM , Blogger Gwendy said...

oooohhhh some similarities in our house - namely paper aeroplanes. gguurrnn!!! I emptied his school bag yesterday to find his photocopied work sheets all perfectly folded into aeroplanes. God, fresh problem. Does that mean he's bored in school???
Also loving how my 2.5 yr old says two one's when he has two toys in his hands. He has 1 + 1 sorted without even being aware of it.

 
At September 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM , Blogger Maud said...

Mine must have been reading your comment yesterday because last night he was suddenly all about the paper aeroplanes.

 

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home