Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Pinterest-worthy?

I needed a storage solution for all the stuffed toys. Mabel has amassed a large number of stuffed toys, because she likes to put families together. This means that one stuffed dog/horse/cheetah is not enough: the more the better, but at least three or four so there can be a mommy, a daddy, a little sister and a big brother. Aw.

So the stuffed toys were growing out of the red box we had them in and proliferating all over the already laden shelves.
Toys overflowing from storage boxes

On a trip to Ikea I spotted the perfect thing: light, flexible, see-through, inexpensive laundry baskets. We got one for the playroom and one for Mabel's bedroom, but after the one upstairs migrated downstairs several days in a row, I'm putting up with just having both of them down here all the time.

Isn't that great? Don't you think you too should use an Ikea laundry basket as stuffed toy storage?

Stuffed toys in laundry basket

Because then your children can chuck the stuffed toys all over the room and pretend they're caterpillars turning into butterflies.

Children in laundry baskets
(This is curiously reminiscent of the bottom picture here. They're a little bigger now.)

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At September 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM , Blogger Joanna O'Sullivan said...

Ah listen, that's given me such a laugh AND clicking through to the older post too....I hate stuffed toys and my two love them. There was a cull recently and they've noticed every single one that's missing. They'd love pretending to be caterpillars, perhaps they can be persuaded to forget about the missing teddies in exchange for Ikea laundry baskets...Hmmmmm.

 
At September 4, 2013 at 2:56 PM , Blogger Maud said...

I find it really hard to purge the stuffed animals, because either Mabel's very attached to some smelly old thing we picked up at a yard sale or else I'm very attached to whatever it is because it was a present from someone when one of the children was born. And though Dash doesn't give two hoots for any toys, as soon as I try to remove one or Mabel tries to play with something, he will immediately have a crystal clear memory of which ones are his, and get all pissy about it.

 
At September 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM , Blogger Emily said...

We have had very disturbing chucked-toys-remembered- with -great -clarity or else, the worst one: buying back the chucked toys from the charity shop ("remember we had one EXACTLY like this?!") (" actually, mammy, did you throw this out? Tis is my one! I remember the one red thread that was loose behind the ear")

 
At September 4, 2013 at 3:08 PM , Blogger Emily said...

Your soft toy storage idea IS Pinterest worthy... But not for my house. My children would spend their times living in them, pretending to have grown a cocoon, begging me to allow them to sleep scrunched up in them..... While the mountains of soft toys leer at me I'm piles around the house...

 
At September 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM , Blogger Thrift Store Mama said...

Emily - the given away item in the thrift store has happened to me as well !

 
At September 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM , Blogger Maud said...

Their memories are nothing short of prodigious.

 
At September 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM , Blogger Maud said...

It happens to adults too. My mother had a friend who found a lovely sweater in the charity shop, just her style, happily bought it... and later realised that she'd donated it a few months earlier.

 
At September 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM , Anonymous Mary Ann said...

I once came home with a sweater my grandmother had donated. Another time, with one of my mother's old skirts. In neither case did I recognize the garment before I bought it.

Small towns...

 
At September 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Fabulous! Our soft toys are like triffids, they are definitely breeding!

Alice @ Mums Make Lists

 

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home