Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Secularism

We drive by the local Catholic church at least once most days on our way from our new house to wherever we happen to be going. Sometimes it's a Sunday, and I'm sorry, in many ways, that we're not taking our children into the cool, dark, peaceful embrace of familiarity that I would feel on entering the building. I loved the ritual of Mass, the soothing tones of the muttered responses, the chords of the organ and the warbling of our local choir of old ladies, the space to think or not think for a while, and especially the knowledge that wherever I was, I had a community to automatically belong to. Mass on Sunday, or Saturday evening, put a shape on my week for 29 years.

It seems mean to deny our children all that. (Plus the opportunity of a private education at discounted prices.) There's just the tiny problem that we're both pretty much athiests at this point, and, call me picky but it would seem hypocritical. I think if either B or I had strong feelings about God or raising our children in a religion, the other would quite happily go along with it rather than take a stand for heathenism, but somehow we both fell off the God wagon within a few years of each other and by the time Monkey was born the only decision was how to tell the grandparents that there wasn't going to be a Christening.

I distinctly recall wondering at some point in my childhood whether all this Mass and Jesus stuff was a hoax dreamed up by the adults to keep us quiet. (It may have been shortly after I'd been disillusioned about Santa Claus, which would mean I was 8 or 9, perhaps.) I thought it would be an awful lot of trouble to go to, and didn't seriously consider it, but it's interesting that it crossed my mind. And then, when I turned 30, I somehow went from being a card-carrying Catholic who firmly believed that children should have some sort of framework for belief rather than nothing at all, even if it was Catholicism with all its many potholes, to a sort of atheistic agnostic who felt that God was obviously a construct of man rather than vice versa.

Which leaves us in a bit of a vaccuum when it comes to some parts of childrearing. I want my children to respect the beliefs of others, of course; to have a strong moral compass and don't need to wonder what's right or wrong; to understand the meaning of God and religion and have a basic knowledge of their cultural heritage, including what Christians and Catholics believe. I want them to feel free to make their own choices without fear of ridicule or censure; but we do still have a responsibility to instill our values in them - assuming we value our values. Do I value atheism? Not really - if my kids want to believe in God, I hope I'll be happy for them. But if they want to join a militant right-wing evangelical church or protest against gay marriage or picket abortion clinics, I do think I'll be telling them how I feel in no uncertain terms. I should hope I won't have to tell them because they'll already know.

Last summer Monkey started asking about death, and God, and religion, and we had some good discussions (monologues, more like), but I think he's forgotten quite a lot of it at this point. I have to remind myself that these, just like the talks about where babies come from, are things we need to be talking about frequently, not just once upon a time. Sometimes I'm trying so hard to be politically correct and not offend anyone, that I forget it's my job to teach my children right from wrong and good from bad - if I try too hard not to criticize the man in the truck for smoking, they won't ever know that smoking is something I don't want them to do.

At the moment, Monkey mostly thinks churches are just big buildings for demonstrating how strong a superhero he is when he describes to me how he can lift them up. Maybe a field trip is in order.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At July 1, 2010 at 2:36 AM , Blogger Miranda said...

I struggle with the same worries, being an atheist-Catholic married to an atheist-atheist. Right and wrong have't been a problem - H accepts them without a God to tell him to. But he desperately wants to know where M's parents are. And I can only honestly say that I don't know. I'm not going to say they are cremated and buried in NZ and no longer exist - though that is true. But I don't want to say they are singing with the angel choir either. Ugh.

 
At July 1, 2010 at 8:43 AM , Blogger Maud said...

Can you say something like that their bodies are gone back to the ground to help new life grow, and they (their souls, if you like) live on in our memories of them?

I only recently told Monkey that we bury dead people in the ground. I had thought it might freak him out a bit before, but he seems fine with it at this point. (Then we moved on to revolutions and guillotines, which proved an interesting distraction...)

 
At July 1, 2010 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Miranda said...

I could, but I have issues with this from my own childhood. At 6 or so I went sobbing to my mother that I didn't want to die. She very flatly told me that I was having an "existential dilemma" and that I wouldn't mind if the worms ate my body, because I'd be dead anyway and would no longer exist. It was such a harsh empty answer, it upset me even more. I am still upset just thinking about it. And thus don't want to tell H that he will just rot and be gone. Though that is probably what happens. I wish I could just put the answer on hold for 20 years until he is emotionally more ready to understand these things. Not that I really am.

 
At July 1, 2010 at 9:55 AM , Blogger Maud said...

I think you can give much the same information in a more sensitive way, maybe with better results. And Henry at 4 isn't the same as you at 6: he'll probably process it a lot less and take it more readily at face value. But you know your kid best: do what feels right.

 
At July 1, 2010 at 2:17 PM , Blogger Miranda said...

I'm sure you're right. I shouldn't put my own psychoses on him. ;)

 
At July 11, 2010 at 11:43 AM , Blogger Thrift Store Mama said...

You may want to do some reading on how the Waldorf pedagogy handles these issues. From my very limited understanding, they have lots of rituals, rhythms, respect for the seasons and nature, but without attachment to a particular diety. They also have a tremenduous respect for the sanctity of childhood and a good handle on how to answer children's difficult questions without scaring them. I never had an experience like Miranda's, but would probably never tell my children (at ages 3 and almost 5) that dead people go in the ground. I just don't think they could handle it, regardless of how (seeminly) calmly they accepted it.

 
At November 23, 2010 at 7:09 AM , Blogger Jennifer Thorson said...

Of course, we humans used to tell our kids that bodies went into the ground (or onto the pyre, or wherever) very early. Death was very near to us, and so we developed rituals to deal with it, and everyone was included. Now death is hidden away in the depths of hospitals where children aren't even allowed to visit, and the rest of us don't really want to be there either.

W faced the reality of death quite early because we lost a cat and two dogs in the span of a year. We talked about it a lot. I think that children take what they need from our conversations with them. If we're compassionate and honest they, and we, will be okay.

As for teaching values, I know you value honesty, compassion, education... all things that can, and do, exist outside of a religious framework. And you teach those the same way you would teach them within that framework, the same way you teach them how to put on their own pants, through regular demonstration and conversation. For what it's worth, I think your kids will be fine. They have excellent parents.

 

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home