Monday, June 24, 2013

Minor obsessions and second-child woes

You may have noticed that I ran out of new obsessions after a mere four-day week. Sorry, but I can only muster so many obsessions at once. I considered including baseball, but it's more a case of "vaguely more interested than I was before," which doesn't really count as an obsession. However, I do want to note that Dash's team finished their season in second place (out of three, but it was still an upset) and he clearly improved over the course of the eight weeks. We also went to a special Star-Wars-themed game of Real Baseball (i.e. Minor League pros) on Saturday night, which was a lot of fun, if somewhat marred by Mabel being absolutely terrified of the excellent fireworks display at the end.

But there was something very nice, I found, about the sense of community with the other parents, sitting in the evening warmth on the little bleachers beside the local little-league diamond, listening for the sweet metallic clunk as bat connected with ball, clapping and shouting for all the kids, yelling "Heads up!" when a ball went the wrong way, finding myself saying "He had a good inning" and realizing that I'd just used an idiom perfectly literally.

Little league machine pitch
My view from the free seats
Of course, that only happened for one minute out of every five, because if I was there, Mabel was with me and I was mostly trying to keep her out of trouble as the minutes ticked towards and far past time for her to be safely tidied away from human interaction.

After the trophy presentation on Sunday - in which every child who participated got a trophy, of course - Mabel was enumerating the injustices of life once more. "I don't want to play soccer or baseball," she told me, "but it's not fair that Dash has four trophies and I have none."

She's right, it's not. Dash did three seasons of soccer and got a trophy at the end of each one, and now he has another. The unfairness comes from the fact that while I've offered Mabel the opportunity to play soccer for the past couple of years, I haven't really pushed it when she declined, because all those Saturday mornings are a pain in the ass, especially when the older child is/might be doing some other activity. So she gets the bad breaks of the second, and maybe of the girl, and that's not fair at all.

But if she wants to play T-ball next year, and Dash goes back to baseball, we might have logistical difficulties with conflicting schedules. Or, if they don't conflict, having to be somewhere four nights a week, which was hard enough for two. B and I both have our own evening commitments every now and then as well. (And I don't just mean a hot date with the sofa, a bottle of wine, and a Netflix, though lord knows that sounds lovely and is hard enough to come by.)

For the moment, I'm just tidying Dash's trophy collection onto a high shelf inside his closet and hoping she'll forget about it for a while.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At June 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM , Blogger Jennifer Thorson said...

Since there's a good chance that we'll have a kid in t-ball and a kid in machine pitch, I'd be happy to arrange some kind of kid sharing system next season.

 
At June 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM , Blogger Joanna O'Sullivan said...

Apologies if you get a number of similar comments, I keep trying and failing. I love your new header picture which I think is very soothing. And I feel for Mabel, it isn't fair at all. She needs a trophy!

 
At June 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM , Blogger Maud said...

Thank you! I was just waiting for a chance to bring my camera to the pool and get something nice and watery for the summer.

The problem is really that all the sports programs hand out trophies just for showing up. Which is sweet, but makes me think of The Incredibles: "When everyone's super, nobody is."

 
At June 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Joanna O'Sullivan said...

Hang on, you took that photo? Really? Wow! Oh I agree about the trophies and The Incredibles' words of wisdom...But oh, Mabel!

 
At June 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM , Blogger Maud said...

I just used my zoom on the water in the swimming pool on a sunny day. I don't have a fancy camera, it just came out nicely.

 

Post a Comment

Say something!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home