Rule of blog
There's this thing about blogging. A sort of an unwritten rule. If something's going wrong in your life, you're not allowed blog about it until you've fixed it. If you do, you're just a whiner and you're bringing everyone down and that's depressing and nobody will want to read about it.
Or else, which is sometimes worse, you do blog about it, just this once, and everyone thinks you were asking for advice, which you may or may not have been doing but you're going to get it anyway, and nothing makes you feel more of a big fat failure than lots of helpful advice telling you to do the things you know you should do, but the whole point was that you don't want to do them, or you can't for whatever reason that may or may not be basically laziness or disinclination. Like if I said "Waahh, my sentences are too long," and you said, "Well, there's this great thing called a full stop," and I said, "But I don't wanna stop it there, I just wanted to whine for a minute."
So while we all want to remain human and mortal and real in the eyes of our readers, we also want to present our best faces, the public ones - or semi-public - wherein if we get things wrong we then figure it out and pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, by jimminy, and our lives get better because we're Doing It Right, and what's more, You Can Too.
It's a bit of a no-win situation, to be honest. You want to be cheerful, you don't want your readers to leave in droves because every time they click over to your blog you're whinging on about that thing again, and if they wanted to hear whinging they could go talk to their own four-year-olds thank you very much. On the other hand, you don't want to be one of those insufferable bloggers who has the perfect decor and the perfect children and the perfect life and the perfect housekeeping skills because we all hate those people. And if you only blog about the perfect and ignore the imperfect, that's as good as pretending to be perfect, which is just as bad only duplicitous as well.
I have nothing wise to say on this subject. It's just something I've thought lately. A blogger narrates their story as they choose, it's our prerogative. We are unreliable narrators, of course, because we can't see ourselves from above, and because we can't tell everything even if we wanted to. As a reader, you takes what you gets, and you build a picture that might be true or false or somewhere in between. You impose your own expectations and assumptions and irrational likes and dislikes on what I've said, and I have no control over what you end up with. That's your prerogative.
And somewhere way back along the line, all we wanted to do was pass the time, writer and reader both. Life is complicated.
Labels: blathering, blogging, musings, writing

10 Comments:
Blogging is so like real life ;-) It's true though - there sort of has to be a conclusion or solution at the end. Sometimes I think of problems I want to write about, to have a discussion, but I can't until I fix them...
Oh Maud, what a laugh! It's all true I think and a lot of the 'unwritten rule' is down to the platform. If someone blogs as opposed to keeping a private diary then they have to accept the inevitable consequences.......I'm going to watching out for the "wah"s and am going to hound you with my advice!
Exactly - I feel like I'm not allowed complain till I can come up with at least a plan of action to deal with it. But sometimes, you just want a good moan.
You're right, Joanna, of course. A blog is no longer an online journal as such, and most bloggers are savvy enough to recognise that.
I struggle with this all the time. It's all but shut me down for a year. So ... I'm in therapy. Do I tell my readers? Do they even care? Do I tell my readers about the agonizing decision about whether or not the pursue litigation against my former employer? I can't say any of that stuff. Except, of course, in a comment on someone *else's* blog. ;)
Oh, Justine! I'm sure your readers would care, because they care about *you*. It's your blog - if it helps to write about it, I say you should write about it anyway.
But I'm really looking forward to BlogHer. :)
Justine, that sounds interesting ! And people would care. One of my favorite blogs is "Family Rocks: The Life of Peg" and there's very rarely a resolution to her issues. But she is doing the very best she can and although I am terribly guilty of giving unsolicited advice, I love checking in on her and giving encouragement.
I used to blog about most everything, but the biggest challenge and joy in my life is my relationship with my husband and I don't blog about that because occasionally my parents and one of his sisters-in-law reads the blog. It's too bad, because we have worked really, really hard at making it through our issues and I think it's a pretty inspiring story with twists and turns in the plot of how to make boring old marriage problems better when divorce is not an option for either of you.
I do get tremendous satisfaction out of delineating my plans or strategies on my blog for dealing with other, less sensitive issues.
Yes! You have to balance what makes an interesting "storyline" for your readers' with your own family's privacy, and no matter how willing you are to broadcast your deepest feelings, it's hard to do that without implicating others who might not feel the same.
I do that too (see my tag called "Best intentions", for example) but I feel like I shouldn't moan about something without having a plan to deal with it. But sometimes the act of writing brings up the plan, which is one of the best things about blogging. Self-therapy.
I think readers have changed since I started blogging in 2005. Back then I could bitch and moan and they would just reply with, "I feel you, sister." Now, they criticize what I did to get in a situation, offer advice, take it personally, get mad if I don't take it, and of course complain that I'm depressed/boring/negative/changing.
There's three sides to every story, in the world of the blogger there is usually only one side, and the readers try to figure out the rest. Readers have become far more emotionally invested in bloggers than in years past and it affects their comments, and what we choose to share. It's a very interesting world, this blogosphere. What was once an online journal has now become a very glossy photo album where you have already tossed the photos with the double chins and red eye.
I agree with you that the act of writing can bring on change and plans, and a blog should be that sort of platform. It's weird/sad how it no longer really can be unless you have a very small, intimate audience.
Allie, thanks so much for your thoughts here. I've actually been blogging since 2004, but I had no readers and now have relatively very few compared to someone like you, so I don't feel the same pressure, I just observe.
Also, I'm sure what you say about the photo album goes triple for a fashion blogger. It must be very difficult to walk the line (as you do so well) between staying genuine and maintaining a very professional presentation.
Post a Comment
Say something!
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home