I don't think we're having a turkey on Thursday
I spend a few days thinking about jeans and shoes and suddenly it's Thanksgiving week and there's no food in the house.
Ah well. Food comes and goes, you know, but boots are good for at least two years, I'd say. I have a pair of boots upstairs that I bought in 1999, actually. I wore them at least once last year. (I'd wear them more often if I had any call for 2.5-inch heels on a regular basis. But somehow I never feel that first-grade pickup is the right time. Or daylight, for that matter.)
The reason I'm suddenly getting all twitchy about how untrendy I am is, of course, that we'll be going home to Dublin for three weeks at Christmas, and while not exactly the fashion capital of the western world, the stakes are a tiny bit higher than they are here. The season that's in it gives rise to opportunities to dress up, for one thing, and people there do tend to dress up a bit more. I just want to look like I'm not totally submersed by my soccermom lifestyle, that's all.
[And then I thought: submersed isn't a word, you idiot. It's submerged, or immersed. But I looked it up and it is a word and it means just what I meant it to, so that's nice.]
And when you only see people once a year, or there's the chance you'll be meeting up with people you haven't seen for ten years, or meeting people you've only interacted with on the Internet, not to mention the fact that the tiny statistical probability of bumping into an ex-boyfriend is raised by at least 75% if I'm walking down Grafton Street rather than to first-grade pickup, you want to look at least reasonably not awful.
[Yes, I know I just changed from second person to first and back again in the same paragraph-long sentence. I did it on purpose. So I did.]
Anyway. Back to food. It is slowly dawning on me - these things take time to percolate through, as my friend Thrift Store Mama was just talking about today - that my fruit and vegetable intake is not really up to recommended standards. I always thought, if I thought anything about it, that I wasn't great on fruits but my vegetables made up for it. It's true that I do like vegetables, but it's also true that breakfast and lunch are often quite vegetable-free meals for me. Breakfast is basically a free pass: I see it as an opportunity for guilt-free carbing. Lunch would have a vegetable if a vegetable happened along, but all too often it's some riff on a ham and cheese sandwich, with maybe a crescent or two of apple that Mabel didn't eat. So that leaves dinner, when I probably get in two servings of vegetables easily enough, but that's still three away from even the most basic daily requirement.
This train of thought began when I read Jamie at Light and Momentary mention that she was aiming for nine servings of fruit and vegetables every day. Nine? How could anyone eat that much food, I wondered. Well, hey, apparently that's my recommended daily intake. And here I was thinking I was failing at just five, when in fact I'm failing miserably at nine instead.
Oh well, I thought, I'll just eat nine servings a day and I'll be slender and full of energy in no time. And yet, thinking did not make it so. I think I had one and a half extra servings yesterday, and one today, and they all involved baby carrots and hummus, which are quite nice but not nine servings nice. (Also, I don't think I'm meant to eat eight servings of carrots every day. I'd turn orange.)
The difficulty is that vegetables, and fruit for that matter, just don't have that fluffy or crunchy or dough-like baked consistency that goes as well with a nice cup of tea as, say, muffins do. Or cookies. Or a piece of cake or a scone or a brownie. Nobody sits down for a cuppa and some broccoli florets. Or coffee and a carrot. (Stick of celery? Brr.) Even a quarter cup of raisins just don't cut it with a hot beverage, unless they're liberally surrounded by oatmeal and sugar and baked into some sort of, let's say, cookie-type vehicle.
So far I'm batting about 50/50 on whether I think "Now I'll have a cup of tea and something chocolate" or "Now I'll eat a healthy snack," but even if I add one serving a day for this week, it's a start.
I think this is one for the "Best intentions" tag, don't you? I probably need to start a "Went awry" tag too.
Labels: best intentions, Christmas, eating, food, shopping, Thanksgiving

1 Comments:
Oh my, this cracked me up! "And yet, thinking did not make it so." -- love it!
Post a Comment
Say something!
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home