Bitter and twisted
I’m reading my first ever Raymond Chandler, and I must say the man writes like Bogart talks. At least, I suppose I always thought that those cheesy old detective films, that I’ve probably seen taken off more than actually seen, were a genre all of their own; that the movie people had created the atmosphere of smoky rooms and depressed people with gravelly voices. But Chandler’s whole tone is just one long sleazy draw on an extra-tar-filled cigarette. It’s great. He’s like Hemmingway, but with adjectives. I love Hemmingway because he’s such a bastard and he does it with so few words.
But it all just goes to make me feel I can’t possibly be a writer. There was this sentence, something like: “I felt like a half-digested meal eaten in a greasy-spoon diner.” I reread it in awe. I would have said “I felt awful.” Or “I felt horrible.” Or possibly “I felt exceptionally disgusting”, but never in a million years would I have come up with such a perfectly repulsive image. Or if I did, it would have been reworked to death and probably would just stand out as forced. But then, maybe Chandler started out with “I felt really rough” and rehashed and rehashed until he finally got what he wanted, the way I did with the sentence about my head and the pillow the other day.
Maybe I just have to work on my attitude, in order to acquire a voice that naturally comes out so bitter and twisted. And take up smoking.

2 Comments:
Well I'm just browsing around your blog now, all out of order so I suppose you've realized this by now, but... the Bogart movies you are thinking of were based on the books that Chandler wrote. He wrote a few of the screenplays, too. So your impression is accurate, but your cause and effect are reversed.
Duh, of course. I think they must have been subconsciously linked in my brain even though I wasn't really thinking about it.
(But hey, thanks. I'd say you're about the second person ever to read any of the posts this far back.)
Post a Comment
Say something!
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home